Old Course Ballot
The daily ballot offers an avenue for players without a Guaranteed St Andrews Old Course Tee Time the chance to play the course.
Almost 50% of the total number of tee times on St Andrews Old Course annually are allocated to the ballot.
– Golf Around Scotland will enter you into The Old Course ballot as specified in your itinerary.
– The Old Course ballot is drawn 48 hours prior to the day of play and the result posted after 4.30pm the same afternoon.
– We will submit your details (name, home club and handicap) and notify you of the result.
– If successful the green fee of £295 per golfer (2023 price) is paid to the starter on the day.
– If unsuccessful we will try to move the course you are playing on the following day, back by a day to allow a 2nd ballot application and would repeat this process on subsequent days as necessary. If we were unable to move a course on a particular day due to unavailability of tee times and you still wished to be entered in the ballot then the green fee would not be refunded if the ballot was successful.
– In the absolute worst-case scenario, you would get up early in the morning on your last day in St Andrews and wait in line at the starter’s box. The starter fills out all tee times of less than 4 golfers with people standing in line. Not ideal, but we have rarely had anyone follow our instructions in this scenario and not play the Old Course!
– Lastly, if all efforts fail you would play the New Course where walk on tee times are kept each day.
– Please note an official handicap certificate is required to play The Old Course. Maximum handicap is 36 for women and 24 for men.